Ever wonder why movers are always in good shape? Read this article and learn how activities such as packing, unpacking, moving furniture, and going up and down the stairs provides you with a full-body workout!
MOVING IS A WORKOUT!
Ever wonder why movers are always in good shape? Read this Call the Movers blog post and learn how activities such as packing, unpacking, moving furniture, and going up and down the stairs provides you with a full-body workout!
We all know, that the moving process can get stressful when you need to arrange and organize many different tasks at once, but can it be physically demanding? Yes, it sure could! DIY moves require physical strength, coordination, and endurance. So, if you are planning to manage all the moving by yourself, you should not only think about planning and organizing, but also prepare yourself for a long, but rewarding workout as well.
TIME FOR THE PACKING & UNPACKING MOVING WORKOUT
Since no one likes to spend many hours on packing-related tasks, Call the Movers recommends you treat packing as part of your workout. It is hard to believe but while packing and unpacking you can burn a significant number of calories compared to usual cardio exercises.
To understand it better, let’s count! Our professional moving experience shows that for 1,500 square foot home you will need to pack around 80 different size boxes. To be honest, packing these 80 boxes could take up to 10 hours. Sounds a lot, right? But you will burn approximately 2,500 calories! This is almost equal to calorie burn in a not high-intensive cardio workout. We believe that now packing sounds more attractive.
MOVE FURNITURE AND BURN CALORIES
Moving furniture can burn even more calories than just packing tasks. By moving furniture, you are lifting heavier belongings and using way more muscles because both arms and legs work in tandem. As a result, you can burn at least 397 calories per hour just by performing this task.
If moving furniture includes walking up and down the stairs, you can burn even more calories. Normally, walking up and down the steps for 10 minutes will burn approximately 100 calories. Also, you are engaging every major muscle in your lower body: calves, quadriceps, hamstrings, abs, and glutes. However, safety is key, so you should not perform furniture moving alone and keep it slow.
MOVING WORKOUT: LOADING THE TRUCK
You could hire a professional moving company such as Call the Movers to transport your belongings to your new home, but planning a do-it-yourself move is yet another opportunity for a workout. Loading items onto a moving truck is the same as weightlifting at the gym. Also, when you lift a box off the ground, that’s a squat. Every lifting will count as exercise in the gym!
However, proper lifting techniques are essential to prevent injuries. Doing it incorrectly or pushing your limits can damage your muscles, back, or knees. Keep these guidelines in mind when loading items:
- Be sure you are allowed to lift heavy boxes. Since moving is a strenuous activity, we advise checking with your doctor first.
- Bend at your knees and keep your spine aligned. Carrying the weight of large items in your leg muscles will save your back. You also prevent your spine from twisting. To do that, make sure you start with your hips and not your back
- Keep these items close to your body. It helps with the weight and saves your forearms and lower back.
- Ask for help. Before lifting any boxes make sure you can do it alone. For heavier boxes do not hesitate to ask for help. Heavy boxes should be moved by two people, so the weight is evenly distributed.
- Go slowly, take breaks. Lifting boxes is not a sprint. Same as with weightlifting better to do it slower, but correctly. Also, do not forget to take breaks and drink water. Otherwise, your body will be exhausted.
All in all, during the preparation for your local or long-distance move you can burn plenty of calories, but specific body-positioning techniques and safety instructions must be followed. It also requires time, energy, strength, and coordination. If you prefer a standard workout at the gym, you can entrust this moving workout to professionals. Call the Movers will help with all your packing and moving needs. Call us, and we will handle it with utmost care.