TIPS FOR MOVING OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME
Congratulations! You are moving! Moving out for the first time is exciting, yet a little bit scary. You are about to start living on your own and open a new chapter of your life book. The first time might seem hard and complicated because you do not know what to do. However, if you follow our tips, you should not encounter any big obstacles!
1. Create a moving checklist
If you have never moved, you have no idea where to start. Grab a piece of paper and write down the list of things you need to do: research moving companies, get moving quotes, downsize and decide what to pack, pack your items, choose how to transfer your belongings, unpacking, etc.
2. Set up a moving budget
Moving costs money even if you are planning to do everything yourself. You should consider these costs:
- moving expenses, such as hiring a professional moving company, buying moving insurance, obtaining packing materials, etc.
- housing expenses, such as paying the rent for the first month at your new location and deposit.
- purchases for your new home.
Expenses can be downsized by doing some things by yourself, such as packing yourself instead of hiring movers or transporting belongings in your car.
3. Hire a professional moving company
Choosing professional movers for moving out for the first time is a great idea. Professionals will do the job for you and you take off your stress away. However, finding the right moving company takes some time and research. We shared a few tips on how to find great movers here.
4. Know what to pack
Packing is quite a headache if you are moving out for the first time. You have to choose what you need to take with you and what can be left at your parents’ home. Do not do the major mistake and do not pack everything. Keep in mind that taking everything means that you will need a huge truck, and huge trucks are quite expensive.
So, we highly recommend taking some time and sorting out. Take things that you need: some books, kitchen utilities, clothes, bedding, towels, etc. Take our advice and move only the most essential items. It will make your life easier and helps to save money.
Finally, reserve enough time for packing. We answered the question when to start packing here.
5. Ask friends or parents to help
Packing and loading your car with boxes is heavy and takes some time. If you are not hiring professional movers, you should ask your friends or parents for help. We are certain that they will help you because it’s your first move! Even if it’s a tiresome activity, those who love you would like to spend more time with you.
6. Prepare for a moving day
Anything can happen on a moving day, so be prepared for the unexpected. However, you should also have these things done:
- Prepare an essentials box or bag. Learn more about it here.
- Reserve the building elevator if you are moving out of a high-rise building
- Cover floors with protective materials to avoid damage.
- Clear the exit paths, for example, make sure that there are no leaves or snow on the paths. It prevents from slipping and injuries.
- Wear comfy clothes and durable work gloves.
If it looks too much for the upcoming move, Call The Movers can help you. We are full-service professional moving company and we are here to make your first moving experience great!