SELF PACKING FOR STORAGE SERVICE
Call The Movers recommends taking advantage of our packing services. However, if you are one of the do-it-yourself people, let us give you some tips on how to prepare and pack for storage. We helped thousands of people to pack and prepare for storage, so we want to share some insights and help you to succeed with self-packing for storage.
First of all, you should define whether you pack for long-term or short-term storage. Both options require different preparation. If you are unaware of these terms, let us explain them:
- Short-term means that you store your items for less than three months. It can be a few days or a couple of weeks; any period that is less than three months.
- Long-term defines storage time that is longer than three months. How long can it be? As long as you agree with your storage service provider.
How to self-pack for long-term storage?
Self-packing for storage requires protecting items and ensuring that everything remains in the same good condition after three months or more. Here are some tips on how to do that:
- Do not pack in plastic bags. Keeping items in plastic bags is not only unfriendly to the environment but might be harmful to your clothes or other goods. Plastic can trap humidity, so mold process might speed up and damage your goods.
- Use sturdy boxes instead of paper boxes. They are easier to store and access compared to paper boxes which may be a cheaper solution.
- Protect fragile items. China, glasses, dishes and other fragile items have to be wrapped in bubble paper or similar material. Do not forget to mark the box with fragile items properly to avoid damage during transportation.
- Use vacuum-sealed bags for clothes, linen, and other fabrics. It saves up space and protects fabrics from damage.
- Pack only clean items, including clothes and furniture.
Call The Movers also recommends keeping everything on pallets in the storage. This tip is very important but overlooked. When you keep everything off the ground, the air keeps moving and your items are protected from damage. You should pay attention to this detail even if your storage provides has climate control. It’s better to be extra safe than sorry!
Self-packing tips for short-term storage
Self-packing for short-term storage is simpler compared to the long-term. You should still store clean items, properly protect and mark fragile items, and use vacuum-sealed bags for fabrics to save up space.
However, you should keep space in the middle of the storage unit too. Usually, short-term storage is needed in transition between homes or during the renovation. So, you may want to access particular items during this process. For this reason, you have to make a way to find, reach and access everything. You do not want to empty whole storage for one box hiding in the back, right?
The major tip for self-packing for storage for a long and short term is – mark each box. Even after a day or two, you won’t remember what are in these boxes. It’s better to spend some time in labeling everything than opening each of the box looking for something.
Besides, if you need extra help with packing, our moving company is willing to assist you! Call The Movers provides all moving-related services, such as packing, storage, long-distance, and short-distance move, and many more.